Oh Martha! I just love all of the creative little favor boxes she shows you how to make on her website.


I especially like these little green boxes with the pink paper flowers. I think we could make it work with white boxes and little black paper flowers or black boxes with white paper flowers.
The next step is to figure out what to put in the boxes. I want to do some sort of "edible" favor since I think that is what I would want to get.
Mexican Wedding Cookies

My first idea was Mexican wedding cookies. I have always loved them! We grew up making them and eating them. Plus I don't really have anything that represents the Hispanic part of my heritage since I wasn't too big on the Mariachi band idea my Auntie wanted. (Sorry auntie). My concerns are that I think they only taste good when they are really warm and fresh out of the oven and I have about 75 other things to be worried about a few days before the wedding than making cookies.
Baklava

My next idea is Baklava. I am partial to this idea for a few reasons.
1. You can make it ahead of time. I found once recipe that said you can make it weeks ahead of time, although I've only ever made it that early, only a few days.
2. This is something that Greg and I have made many times together. We work very well as a team on it and I get a good feeling when we make it. It's like "our" dessert. When you make it you have to work very quickly so the phyllo dough doesn't dry out, and it works best with two people.
Once I mentioned it to him, he was like "Yes! Love that idea. We can even put a little explanation on the box as why this is important to us."
So, that may be it! We may have just chosen our favors!


I know you said you weren't too big on the Mariachi band idea, but I actually went to a wedding this past summer and they had a Mariachi band during their cocktail hour and passed Mexican hors d'ouevres...it was really neat!
ReplyDelete