Wednesday, February 10, 2010

DIY: Centerpieces: Trial #1

My inspiration for my centerpieces comes from Ms. Martha Stewart. I love the shimmer of the ribbon. At first I considered painting terra cotta pots black, but they just didn't shine quite like I wanted.


I bought a tall clear vase and a few spools of ribbon from Dollar Tree Where everything is actually a dollar. So in total I spent like $3.


I used a hot glue gun to get the first piece of ribbon to stick to the vase. Then I wrapped the ribbon around and around and glued every now and then secure the ribbon.




I think next time I am going to try gluedots because the hot glue made the ribbon lumpy where I glued. I'm thinking gluedots will be "seen" less and easier to apply.



And Voila! You have my first attempt at a ribbon centerpiece! Please excuse the paper flower, it was so Greg could actually visualize what I was thinking color-wise.


I may try to find wider, fatter vases to wrap. I really like the ones Martha used in the inspiration picture. If I can get all the ribbon from Dollar Tree it won't be that expensive, but ribbon elsewhere is fairly pricey.

5 comments:

  1. Ohhh - fabulous idea! I'm DIY'ing my centerpieces as well and I love the ribbon! I may try it out with mine!

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very great idea..I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! It looks chic!

    If you can't find as much ribbon as you need there, try Big Lots. They always have a ton of ribbon--and it's from Michaels! And I don't know if you have an Old Time Pottery near you, but they resell the Walmart ribbon after it's pulled off the shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sarah: Thanks for the tips on Ribbon! I found some at the Dollar Tree, but it's really hit or miss, plus ribbon can be fairly expensive. I don't know if we have Old Time Pottery, but I'm definitely checking it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job!!! i love ribbon wrapped vases and am thinking of using the same concept as you are doing for my shorter arrangements.

    ReplyDelete